Major events – invasive tests proposal

Home Forums IDNIYRA Technical Committee Discussion Major events – invasive tests proposal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tomek Zakrzewski
    Participant

TC members,

In connection with the recent discovery of a runner plank made of illegal materials, during the March virtual meeting of IDNIYRA Extended Board Meeting on March 16 2022 I offered to submit a wording proposal to add a paraghaph to the major events’ (WC/EC) sailing instruction allowing the measurer to make invasive measurements of some of the DN gears.

The measurement would be performed by drilling a single hole with a diameter of up to 6 mm in the hull, runner plank or runner. The measurement zone should be recommended by TC.

Once measured, the equipment receives the lifetime signature of the measurer and is not subject to subsequent measurements.

Therefore, I am asking the members of the Technical Committee for their views and proposals on invasive measurement. I am aware that in the long history of the DN class, such a need did not arise, but recent events may justify such a necessity.

It looks like invasive test may be the only way to answer some of the complaince questions.

Participant

Thanks Tomek for starting this discussion. It’s unfortunate that we need to have it but we need to move forward. I think we need to go into this with the assumption that MOST of the equipment out in the field is legal. I would rather not take the approach that “everyone is guilty until proven innocent”. If we come up with a process to drill holes to prove materials it should be minimized as much as possible. I would propose that any piece of equipment with externally visible wood is exempt from drilling. How about certifying builders? If you bought equipment from certified commercial builders, no drilling needed. Home builders could document what they have built with some photos sent to the TC and become exempt from the drilling process. I think if we can minimize the need for invasive testing at the regattas by defining other ways to get “certified” then this will be easier to manage.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.